The little black dress is an absolutely essential item that every woman should own! It is slimming and flattering and it is easy to pair with a huge range of accessories so that you can create dozens of different looks with it. You can wear your little black dress with heels and pearls for a classy occasion or with boots, leggings and a cardigan for a casual day of walking around the city.
This post is an introduction to the art of looking fabulous in your little black dress – let’s call it LBD 101.
How to Choose the Right Little Black Dress for Your Body Type:
Everyone is different and it is important to find the cut and style of little black dress that will look the most flattering on you. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- If you are a pear shape, choose a halter dress that will show off your shoulders. This will create the illusion of a much more balanced, triangular shape by making your hips seem smaller and in better proportion to your body.
- If you are petite, a sheath dress has a clean elongated shape that will help you look taller and leaner.
- If you have an apple shape and your torso is square, you can complement your figure with a shirred dress with a gathering effect at the waistline.
- Apple shapes can also benefit from adding a belt to their little black dress, as it will help to define the waist.
- Also, if you have an apple shape you can wear a dress with a fuller skirt in order to create the illusion of a smaller waistline.
- If you are pear shaped, show off your comparatively slender top half with a strapless little black dress. If it has a flared skirt below, it will be very flattering.
- If you have an hourglass figure you can accentuate your bust with the gorgeous Leila Black Suede Lace Up Dress. It has a deep V-neck with laced up details along the front that will highlight your bust.
- If you have a slim figure, choose a dress with a lot of details and textures which will add more substance to your frame. Try the Camilla Black backless lace dress, for example.
- If you have a straight, athletic figure you will look fantastic in the sort of drop-waist dresses styled after the 1920s era. They are perfect with textured tights, heels and simple jewellery.
How to Wash a Little Black Dress
You’ll spend a lot of time choosing the perfect little black dress and a lot of money purchasing it so make sure that you maintain it well! When you care for it properly, the right dress can last for years and years and can be worn to many different events and occasions.
When you wash your little black dress incorrectly you run the risk of its colour fading, which is not a good look! You want it to look deep black, crisp and brand new rather than old and faded. You can preserve your dress by using mild laundry detergent rather than regular formula liquid detergents. They are known to contain harmful chemicals that damage the fibres. There are even special laundry detergents that are designed to be used on dark clothing.
Some say that you can add a tablespoon of salt to the wash and the chloride within the salt will help the clothing to pack a much more colourful punch for longer. Washing it with cold water will also do the trick.
You should also be turning your black dress inside out before you wash it, as this will keep it from rubbing against anything else in the washing machine. You should wash it only on a load with other dark clothing, on a short and gentle cycle. Don’t throw it in the dryer, instead hang it up to dry. Don’t hang it outside in the sun – the UV rays will lighten it.
If the dress is made of a delicate material such as suede or lace or it has details such as sequins or embroidery you might want to carefully hand wash it or have it dry cleaned. Your little black dress is such as special clothing item that you will get a lot of use out of, so it’s worth putting the extra effort into it to make sure that it is cleaned properly.
What to Wear With Your Little Black Dress
Short answer – anything! The little black dress is such a versatile item of clothing that you can wear almost any accessories with it. Here are some great ideas:
- Why not accent your little black dress with a pop of colour by carrying a brightly toned handbag in a shade of blue, yellow or red?
- If you are wearing a dress similar to the Maya Black Bodycon Backless Midi Dress, a simple sparkling necklace that rests right on your collarbone will be very flattering.
- If you are wearing your little black dress during the day, layer tights underneath and a cardigan or blazer overtop. If it’s cold outside a printed scarf will keep you warm while still looking chic.
- A statement necklace will take centre stage if you are wearing a simple and minimalistic black dress. Likewise, a complex and detailed dress will require very simple jewellery.
- Add a little bit of toughness to your feminine glam with a leather jacket, ankle boots or a chain link bag.
- Sometimes a little black dress doesn’t need a lot of accessories because it is quite dramatic on its own. For example, the Lisa Black Turtleneck Backless Bodycon Dress has a very sexy back cut out so you can simply wear it with an updo and a pair of shoes and you will turn heads!
How will you wear your little black dress? No matter what you wear with it, the little black dress is a fashion staple that will never go out of style!